In Touch – October 1, 2021
1515 Cheapside Street
London, Ontario, N5V 3N9
Tel. (519) 453-4400 / 1-866-640-0044
Fax (519) 453-4193
Mrs. Sherry Eacrett (Manager of Student Living)
Ms. Angela McHardy (Principal)
October 1st, 2021
Amethyst’s mission is to provide a safe place where students, families and staff find support to learn, grow, discover and ultimately “Believe in Themselves”.
We had beautiful weather for our Terry Fox Run this week and students had fun while raising money to support cancer research. We have raised $255- way to go!!
Students learned about the meaning of Orange Shirt Day and spent time focusing on learning more about Indigenous Peoples and some of the Calls to Action from the Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada. We will continue to learn, reflect and increase our awareness about the history of the residential school system.
Congratulations to our award winners last week:
- Mrs. Thiel’s class won the Grit award
- Ashton S.W. won the Golden Headset award
- Liam G. won the Growth Mindset award
- Bella W. won the Kindness award
We held our first Parent Council meeting this week. Thank you to the parents who attended the virtual meeting. We are pleased to announce that Heather Rogan and Melissa Noel will serve as Co-Chairs on our School Council executive for the 2021-22 school year. We look forward to working together. Our next council meeting will be on Tuesday, November 9 at 5:30 pm via ZOOM. Future dates are Tuesday, February 8 and Tuesday, April 21.
Our Individual Education Plans (IEPs) are being created and will be available on Thursday, October 14th. The IEPs will be sent home with each student on Friday, October 15th in the communication folders. If you would like a digital copy on October 14th please let us know.
It is mandatory that the Covid 19 Screening is completed on a daily basis for day students. On Monday mornings, screening is to be done for lodging students by their parents, prior to them getting on their bus. Screening is done each morning with students in lodging. If a student does not pass screening, our Reopening Plan is followed:
- Individuals who have had a COVID-19 test because of symptoms but who test negative can return to school if they do not have a fever, if their symptoms have been improving for at least 24 hours, or 48 hours for gastrointestinal (GI) (nausea/vomiting, diarrhea) symptoms, if they have not been directed to self-isolate and provided they have had no contact to a confirmed case of COVID-19.
- Where an individual has tested positive for COVID-19, the local PHU will be in contact with the school to provide further direction for both the individual and their high risk close contacts, including household members. The individual cannot return to school until cleared by the PHU.
- If the individual with symptoms is not tested, they should self-isolate (including from household members) for a period of 10 days. Whether they are tested or not, the period of self-isolation should start from the date of symptom on-set. Individuals who have traveled out of the country are required to follow federal guidelines and law upon their return. Note that individuals do not need to provide a medical note or proof of a negative result to return to school.
Please note that if a student is ill or has been deemed a close contact, you need to follow any directions given by Public Health as they have specifics about each case and as well they base direction on vaccine status, which is something we do not ask about. Please direct any Covid related questions/concerns to Ms. McHardy – 519-453-4400, Ext. 1270.
Wishing you all a wonderful weekend!
Student Homework and Lodging Update
Hi Amethyst Parents! The Kindness Program has been a success thus far at Amethyst, students have been getting many “TAG! YOU’RE IT” cards for showing random acts of kindness. Please see below specific updates for extended day and student lodging.
The extended day staff, Bailey and Keisha, have been supporting the students to create a quiet and effective homework space. Students complete homework around 4:15pm. This week after homework the extended day students played in the games area, played dodgeball in the gym, and were offered the weight room Monday-Wednesday with Dave. Some student lodging students joined them too! If you have any questions regarding extended day please reach out to Bailey at email@example.com and/or Keisha at firstname.lastname@example.org. Feel free to also reach out to the Amethyst Day Team Leader email@example.com.
This week in student lodging Monday was a “play day” theme evening with varies activities set up outside such as capture the flag, croquet, basketball, and four square. Tuesday the secondary students played “Superball” in the gym (an Amethyst game favourite) while elementary played pickle ball and/or went for a nature walk. On Wednesday it was family night and Thursday was movie night! Please reach out to your child’s counsellor if you have any questions. Feel free to also reach out to the Amethyst Day Team Leader firstname.lastname@example.org.
Have a fantastic weekend!
Have a great weekend,
Student Homework/Lodging Team