In Touch – January 21, 2022
1515 Cheapside Street
London, Ontario, N5V 3N9
Tel. (519) 453-4400 / 1-866-640-0044
Fax (519) 453-4193
Mrs. Sherry Eacrett (Manager of Student Lodging)
Ms. Angela McHardy (Principal)
Amethyst’s mission is to provide a safe place where students, families and staff find support to learn, grow, discover and ultimately “Believe in Themselves”.
A reminder that students must pass the screening tool daily and show verification of this to attend school: COVID-19 school screening. You can print result, screen shot, or email verification to your child’s teacher.
Congratulations to our award winners last week:
- Liam G. won the Grit award
- Brayden H. won the Growth Mindset award
- Justin D. won the Golden Headset award
- Nate G. won the WOW award
- Ashton B.L. won the Kindness award
On Monday, January 17th in-person learning resumed for our extended day students. The ministry confirmed a decision to continue the temporary closure of student lodging until January 28, 2022. This decision will be reviewed and a determination regarding reopening student lodging on January 31st will be communicated by this time. We will share updates as they become available.
In order to keep our school safe, all students and staff must complete the school screener daily and are required to show daily on-site confirmation of this screening. Students will need to verify this with staff each day by either showing the confirmation on their phone or showing a print out of the results. Screening should be completed at home each morning.
Students are still required to wear a well fitted cloth or medical mask when they are indoors, (except when eating/drinking), that completely and comfortably covers their nose and mouth, and has ear loops (no gaiters). Please send in an extra clean mask each day.
If a student or a member of their family has symptoms, assume that they are positive for Covid-19. The entire household is required to isolate. It is important to always complete and follow the directions given in the daily school screening tool: COVID-19 school screening.
Rapid Tests were distributed to our in-person students this week and will be distributed to remote learners when they return to in-person learning. This testing option is voluntary. Information about when and how to use these tests was emailed to families yesterday. Please refer to the Rapid Antigen Testing letter from the PDSB for further information.
Our Secondary students will be completing exams and culminating tasks from January 25-28. Teachers have shared the schedule with students and families. We wish all of our secondary students success on their exams and culminating tasks.
Term/Semester 2 begins on Monday, January 31st. First term/semester report cards will be going home on Friday, February 11th.
Grade 8 and secondary students have been sent a Google Form regarding transitions to secondary homeschools. Please complete and submit the form. If you have any questions, please contact the school and ask to speak to one of our Resource Consultants.
Our next Parent Council meeting will be held on Tuesday, February 8 at 5:30 pm. All parents are invited to attend.
Wishing you all a wonderful weekend!
Wellness Tips and Tricks
Did You Know…Stroking an animal is scientifically proven to improve your mood? They get love and you get happy!
Welcome back everyone! I hope you all had a wonderful holiday. I know we can’t be together yet, but I thought I could give you some wellness tips to help keep you busy until we’re back! Working from home can be pretty tough, and a little boring. It’s important that we create a routine that works for us in order to keep our mental wellness flowing.
Things You Can Do:
- Get Some Fresh Air: I know it’s a little cold out, but even five minutes of fresh air and sunlight can make a huge difference. You can take a trip around the block, have some hot chocolate outside in the morning or build an igloo! I like to walk my dog!
- Find Self Care You Like: I’m not very good at yoga, so I try to find other ways to take care of myself. You can take a bubble bath once a week, paint your toenails, dance in the kitchen, make someone smile, play a video game with Amethyst friends, or whip up a yummy snack in the kitchen.
- Keep a Routine: At school you have a schedule; wake up in the morning, brush your teeth, get dressed for class, and so on. It’s super important that we keep this going. If there’s something you don’t like doing (like eating breakfast), it’s okay to switch things up. Pancakes for lunch can be a way to brighten your day!
Don’t forget, if you need me, you can reach me at:
Or extension 1587
Extended Day Program/Lodging Update
Hi Parents and Guardians,
The ministry has confirmed a decision to continue the temporary closure of student lodging until January 28, 2022. This decision will be reviewed and a determination regarding reopening student lodging on January 31st will be communicated by this time.
Students in lodging will continue with remote learning from January 17 to January 28, 2022.
Some Student Support Counsellors will be on site to support extended day students.
Student Lodging’s role with remote learning:
- Remote Homework Time: Monday – Thursday 2:45-3:45pm in a homework google classroom all students have been invited too. The expectation is for all students to attend to get support and/or confirm homework is complete.
- Secondary Culminating Tasks Support: Secondary SSC’s are available in their homework Google Classrooms Monday to Thursday 11am-12pm as well as the regular homework time 2:45-3:45pm. As always, students are welcome to email their SSC for 1 to 1 support anytime between 10am-4pm.
- Remote Activity Room: Thursday’s from 3:15-3:45pm in the activity room google classroom. The activity room consists of virtual games, including, virtual escape room, kahoots, scavenger hunts, and more! The activity room is for students who completed their homework. It is optional.
- Friday Meeting: Student Support Counsellors will be running our Friday Meeting. This is an opportunity for all of us to come together as a school community. We will have some fun and we will recognize students who have levelled up in Lexia. We will continue with our regular weekly awards. These meetings will take place on Friday’s at 2:30 pm and the link will be shared with students.
Student support counsellors are available if students need extra support. Please reach out to your child’s primary counsellor via email.
We wish all secondary the best of luck with their culminating tasks!
Student Support Counsellors at Amethyst