Ministry of Education
Provincial and Demonstration Schools Branch

In Touch – March 25, 2022

Date: March 25, 2022 | Categories: amethyst | Tags: newsletter

1515 Cheapside Street
London, Ontario, N5V 3N9
Tel. (519) 453-4400 / 1-866-640-0044
Fax (519) 453-4193
Website: pdsbnet.ca/amethyst
Twitter: @AmethystSchool
Mrs. Sherry Eacrett (Manager of Student Living)
Ms. Angela McHardy (Principal)

Amethyst’s mission is to provide a safe place where students, families and staff find support to learn, grow, discover and ultimately “Believe in Themselves”.

A reminder that students must pass the screening tool daily and show verification of this to attend school: COVID-19 school screening

Congratulations to our award winners before March Break: 

• Mrs. KH’s class won the Grit award
  • Mrs. Woodiwiss’ class won the Golden Headset award
  • Spiro Z. and Renee M. won the WOW award 
  • Cameron L. won the Kindness award

We hope everyone enjoyed the break!

Students in grade 8 will have an opportunity to have Graduation Photos taken here at Amethyst next week on the morning of Thursday, March 31st. Information was sent home to our grade 8 parents. If you have any questions, please contact Mrs. Harju.

Term/Semester 2 IEPs have been sent home in the communication folders today. We ask that you sign and date the Parent/Guardian and Student Signature portion of 2 copies of the IEPs and return them to your child’s homeroom teacher.

Thank you to Dr. Al, our consulting psychologist, who led a parent evening this week on Learning Disabilities and ADHD. It was great to have so many parents participate in this learning.

Please continue to check http://www.mybigyellowbus.ca/ or murphybus.ca for any bus delays or cancellations. Students are no longer required to wear masks on transportation- they can choose if they’d like to wear one.

Based on advice from the Office of the Chief Medical Officer of Health and in alignment with community measures, the province has returned schools to a more normal learning environment, while maintaining protective measures. Provincial and Demonstration Schools Branch’s (PDSB) schools, lodgings and worksites now align with the low risk setting guidance for schools for isolation, testing and contact tracing purposes.

Staff and students are still required to complete and pass the school screener each day. The screener will provide next steps. We will follow these next steps if a student becomes ill at school. The flow charts below can also help inform your decisions if you have symptoms or you are a close contact of someone who has tested positive for Covid or someone with Covid symptoms: (from: COVID-19 Integrated Testing & Case, Contact and Outbreak Management Interim Guidance: Omicron Surge)

Our cafeteria will be offering lunches to our extended day students who would like to purchase a meal. The cost of lunch is $10.20 and students will need to pay with cash.

Save the DateStudent Recognition Night is scheduled for Thursday, June 23. This is an evening where we recognize all of the students and their achievements. More details will be shared closer to the date.

Wishing you all a wonderful weekend!

Ms. McHardy

Extended Day Program/Lodging Update

Hi Parents and Guardians,

Welcome back; we hope everyone had a restful March Break!

There have been updates related to the health and safety measures related to covid-19 protocols in student lodging. Student lodging covid-19 protocols are the same as the school, please see more information at the beginning of the In Touch Newsletter.

Family Night:

Parents are allowed in the building starting March 30, 2022. Parents are allowed to enter at the front entrance only, also known as “switchboard”.

Parents and siblings are only allowed in the building if they:

1. Sign in at switchboard
  2. Complete the Ontario Schools Screener at: https://covid-19.ontario.ca/school-screening/ with a pass and show it to their child’s primary counsellor.

We invite you to come swimming (open at 6pm), play in the gym, or check out your child(ren)’s dorm. Please note that siblings must be with a parent at all times, they are not allowed to be in the pool, gym, or dorm, without their parent present. Please text your child’s primary counsellor’s dorm phone when the family night visit is complete and your child is back in student lodging’s care. Masks are not required but highly recommended for visitors to student lodging.

Extended Day Swimming:

Extended day swimming will now only be held on Mondays from 3:45-4:30pm.

Student Voice:

Manager Sherry and Team Leader Delanie met with two students in each dorm this week to do student voice. Student voice is to hear students feedback to generate ideas of what to bring to student lodging. The student voice representatives speak with their peers about student lodging and the student brings it to the manager and team leader. For example, feedback on programming, activities, clubs, and volunteer hours ideas for secondary. We are happy to give the students the opportunity to advocate for themselves and make our program better.

Fundraiser:

We’re very excited to announce that we’ve chosen to be a part of the Plantables Fundraising Program for 2022.

We’re aiming to raise $200.00 to fund our year end trip for all students and every box of plants you buy helps us get closer to that goal. (We get 10% of the total of every order you place.)

What Is Plantables?

Plantables is an exciting new start up (est. 1998) based in Forest, Ontario that grow healthy, hardy and happy fruit and vegetable plants. The best part is, they ship them DIRECTLY to your door, when you want them!

How does the program work?

All you have to do is help spread the plant love! Tell everybody you know to go to plantables.ca. and make sure they enter the code 1515 at the checkout or follow our direct link https://plantables.ca/for/1515.

Thank you for all of your support.

Please see below contact information for dorms and extended day. Feel free to reach out to primary student support counsellors through the information below or email.

Dorm Contact Information

• Shark Tank: Dorm Ext 1621, Cell: 226-926-5619
  • The Cave: Dorm Ext 1699, Cell: 226-926-6731
  • Eagles Den: Dorm Ext 1676, Cell: 226-926-6341
  • The Loft: Dorm Ext 1686, Cell: 226-926-5574
  • The Knights: Dorm Ext 1675, Cell: 519-636-0369

Extended Day Contact Information

Take Care,

Student Support Counsellors