In Touch – April 22, 2022
1515 Cheapside Street
London, Ontario, N5V 3N9
Tel. (519) 453-4400 / 1-866-640-0044
Fax (519) 453-4193
Mrs. Sherry Eacrett (Manager of Student Living)
Ms. Angela McHardy (Principal)
Amethyst’s mission is to provide a safe place where students, families and staff find support to learn, grow, discover and ultimately “Believe in Themselves”.
A reminder that students must pass the screening tool daily and show verification of this to attend school: COVID-19 school screening
Congratulations to our award winners last week:
- Mrs. Thiel’s class won the Grit award
- Alex H. won the Growth Mindset award
- Mrs. K-H’s class. won the Wow award
- Jaydon C. won the Kindness award
Staff and students are still required to complete and pass the covid-19 school screener each day. The screening tool will direct you on what to do if you exhibit symptoms of any illness and if someone in the house has tested positive for covid. Please do not send your child to school if they are ill or exhibiting symptoms, including colds and flu. The screener will direct an individual to stay home for most symptoms and it will provide direction on what to do if someone in your household tests positive. We will follow the direction from the screener for next steps if a student becomes ill at school.
Masks are required in some circumstances, even if students pass the screener and can attend school:
- For 10 days after the date you were last exposed to a positive Covid case or a symptomatic person
- For 10 days after you have had a positive test or from when symptoms began
- For 14 days after arriving in Canada if you travel outside of the country
Our Secondary students will be bringing home their Midterm Report Cards today in their communication folders. Please contact your child’s subject area teacher if you have any questions about the report card.
Our Parent Council meeting will be held next week on Tuesday, April 26th at 5:30 pm. All parents are invited to attend and a Zoom meeting link will be sent out that morning. This will be our last Parent Council meeting for the 2021-22 school year. We will be revising/updating our Student Dress Code at this meeting.
We are hosting a Parent Information Night on Tuesday, May 10th at 5:30 pm on Ontario Youth Apprenticeship Programs. A zoom link will be shared on that morning.
Silent Auction Update
Some new donations this week are a small stand up loom, books, kitchen items, and some games. The auction will run from May 11th – 18th and the deadline for donations is May 2nd. If you would like a copy of our donation request letter to submit to a business, just let Janet know and she will send you a copy (email@example.com). We are requesting new items only. We also collect Canadian Tire money to purchase items for the auction. If you have any items to donate please let Janet know and please send them into the school office with your child. Funds raised are used to support the students at Amethyst. Thank you for your support!
With the warmer weather we are also experiencing some rainy days, which means muddy fields. We aim to get the students outdoors for recess and physical education as much as possible. It is important that students come to school with a pair of indoor AND outdoor shoes. Thank you!
Save the Date – Student Recognition Night is scheduled for Thursday, June 23, 7 – 9 pm. This is an evening where we recognize all of the students and their achievements. More details will be shared closer to the date.
Wishing you all a wonderful weekend!
Extended Day Program/Lodging Update
Hi Parents and Guardians,
The extended day program and student lodging program have fun events coming up for staff and students! Please see the details below.
- Running Club: Offered every Tuesday in May at 6pm.
- Thursday May 5th: School Dance 6:30-8:30pm. All students and staff are welcome! Extended day students are welcome to attend the dance as long as parents cancel transportation and are here to pick up their child from the dance when it ends.
- Wednesday May 18th: – Family BBQ 5-6:30pm. All staff and families are invited to attend our family BBQ. Order forms were sent home this week (Friday April 22). Please return order forms by Monday May 9, 2022.
- Tuesday May 31: Pool Olympics! Fun games and activities in the pool!
- End of Year Trips: Student support counsellors will be sending home trip forms with more information on end of year trips.
Parents are allowed in the building starting March 30, 2022. Parents are allowed to enter at the front entrance only, also known as “switchboard”.
Parents and siblings are only allowed in the building if they:
- Sign in at switchboard
- Complete the Ontario Schools Screener at: https://covid-19.ontario.ca/school-screening/ with a pass and show it to their child’s primary counsellor.
We invite you to come swimming, play in the gym, or check out your child(ren)’s dorm. Families are also welcome to come eat dinner in the cafeteria for $5.00 (cash only). Please note that siblings must be with a parent at all times, they are not allowed to be in the pool, gym, or dorm, without their parent present. Please text your child’s primary counsellor’s dorm phone when the family night visit is complete and your child is back in student lodging’s care. Masks are not required but highly recommended for visitors to student lodging.
Dorm Contact Information
- Shark Tank: Dorm Ext 1621, Cell: 226-926-5619
- The Cave: Dorm Ext 1699, Cell: 226-926-6731
- Eagles Den: Dorm Ext 1676, Cell: 226-926-6341
- The Loft: Dorm Ext 1686, Cell: 226-926-5574
- The Knights: Dorm Ext 1675, Cell: 519-636-0369