Special Education Teacher
Secondment Opportunity – Pool Hiring
Position available for 2022/2023 School year
A rewarding opportunity awaits you with the Ministry of Education, Provincial and Demonstration Schools Branch at Amethyst Demonstration School in London.
Competition PDSB22-129 – Special Education Teacher, Health & Physical Education, Secondment position, Amethyst Demonstration School in London
Our schools are dedicated to providing quality education for students with learning disabilities in a student lodging setting. Currently we are looking for Special Education Teachers who wish to have a province wide impact on the education of students with learning disabilities.
Employment opportunities in our demonstration schools come with:
- the chance to be part of a team of specialized educators recognized as leaders in the field of special education for students with learning disabilities
- specialized training in supporting students with learning disabilities
- small classroom sizes complemented with outstanding resources
- commitment to your professional and personal growth
- opportunities to support the professional learning of colleagues across the province
- the opportunity to develop your skills, pedagogy, and leadership capacity to positively impact the students and staff in your school board when you return at the end of your secondment
Applications are invited for the 2022/2023 school year.
Your application package will be reviewed and considered for current and future teaching assignments. Interviews will be held for placement in our secondee pool. Placement in the pool will be for a period of 2 years before being required to re-apply. Teachers will be selected from this pool as positions become available for the 2022/2023 school year. As this is an open posting, interviews may be scheduled on an on-going basis. For first consideration for positions starting in September 2022, applications must be received by June 20, 2022.
Positions are available on a one (1) year renewable secondment basis for a teacher who is currently employed on a full-time permanent basis by an Ontario School Board. Interested teachers who have the prior approval of their Superintendent are invited to apply.
Please note: Teachers employed by a school board on a Long Term Occasional or Supply basis are not eligible to apply for a secondment position.
The following are the types of teaching positions that are available at our schools and in which a member of the pool would be placed for the 2022/2023 school year.
Competition PDSB22-129 – Special Education Teacher, with a strong focus on Health & Physical Education, Secondment position, Amethyst Demonstration School in London
Students at demonstration schools follow the same subjects/courses as students in Ontario school boards with intervention programming in language and math.
- Position to teach at the junior and intermediate level. Junior and/or intermediate qualifications required.
- Position with focus on Health and physical education, including Grade 7-10 swim program
Qualifications and Attributes:
- Valid Certificate of Registration and Qualifications from the Ontario College of Teachers;
- Special Education, Part 1 qualifications (or in process for completion prior to start);
- junior, intermediate qualifications as required;
- Physical Education qualifications; swimming qualifications (ie. Red Cross or similar swimming program), demonstrated knowledge and understanding of structured literacy and language development;
- demonstrated knowledge and understanding of numeracy development;
- successful experience working with students with learning disabilities;
- working knowledge of program modifications/accommodations, learning strategies, progress monitoring/evaluation;
- demonstrated interest in inclusive/assistive/adaptive technology;
- excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- ability to establish and work within a highly structured classroom environment;
- ability to work in a multi-disciplinary team;
- ability to work in partnership with the student lodging staff.
- Amethyst Demonstration School, 1515 Cheapside Street, London, ON
Area of Search:
Please submit a cover letter, your resume outlining qualifications and experience, and a current copy of your Ontario College of Teachers Certificate of Registration and Qualification. Your cover letter must clearly identify the Competition File # PDSB22-129 that you are applying to and must be forwarded by no later than 11:59PM on June 20, 2022.
Please submit your application to the following email address: PSBjobs@ontario.ca
Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
OPS commitment to diversity, inclusion, accessibility, and anti- racism:
We are committed to build a workforce that reflects the communities we serve and to promote a diverse, anti-racist, inclusive, accessible, merit-based, respectful and equitable workplace.
We invite all interested individuals to apply and encourage applications from people with disabilities, Indigenous, Black, and racialized individuals, as well as people from a diversity of ethnic and cultural origins, sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions.
Visit the OPS Anti-Racism Policy and the OPS Diversity and Inclusion Blueprint pages to learn more about the OPS commitment to advance racial equity, accessibility, diversity, and inclusion in the public service.
We offer employment accommodation across the recruitment process and all aspects of employment consistent with the requirements of Ontario’s Human Rights Code. Refer to the application instructions below if you require a disability-related accommodation.
NOTE: The successful candidates will be required to provide an original, satisfactory Criminal Reference Check, including Vulnerable Sector Screening (dated within the last six months) as deemed suitable by the Employer, prior to the commencement of employment.
Posting Date: June 10, 2022
Closing Date: Open
THE MINISTRY OF EDUCATION IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER, COMMITTED TO FOSTERING AND MAINTAINING A WORK ENVIRONMENT THAT PROMOTES RESPECT FOR OTHERS, OPEN COMMUNICATION, TEAMWORK AND ACCOUNTABILITY