Teacher of the Deaf
(Long Term occasional position)
Position available September 1, 2022
(Contracts rated under the Provincial Schools Authority)
A rewarding opportunity awaits you with the Ministry of Education, Provincial and Demonstration Schools Branch, Robarts School for the Deaf in London which serves students who are Deaf/Hard of Hearing in a student lodging school setting. Do you hold expertise, experience and interest in the education of students who are deaf? Consider bringing your professional expertise to the Provincial and Demonstration Schools Branch.
NOTE: PDSB is currently inviting applications from OCT qualified teachers who are interested and willing to obtain the Deaf Specialist and ASL qualifications required for the position. Successful candidates may be employed under a Temporary Letter of approval.
- Competition #PDSB22-133 – Teacher of the Deaf – Long Term occasional position
Robarts School for the Deaf, 1515 Cheapside Street, London, Ontario -1 Position (Full time 1.0) at 36.25 hours per week, available September 1, 2022 until October 21, 2022 (with possibility of extension).
- Valid Certificate of Registration and Qualifications from the Ontario College of Teachers;
- Deaf Specialist/Teaching Students Who Are Deaf or Hard of Hearing – Aural and Oral Communications Specialist and/or ASL/LSQ Communication Specialist (NOTE: PDSB will consider teacher candidates who are currently engaged in completing the requirements for the specialist qualification and/or who express a willingness to obtain);
- Primary/Junior/Intermediate division qualifications;
- Fluency in American Sign Language (ASL) (NOTE: PDSB will consider teacher candidates who express a willingness to obtain ASL language fluency).
- Ability to use ASL as a language of instruction;
- Ability to apply an in depth knowledge of bilingual-biliteracy-bicultural education for Deaf students;
- Ability to teach Deaf/hard of hearing students in academic programs and programs for students with multiple exceptionalities;
- Ability to develop lesson plans, make accommodations and modifications as needed;
- Ability to develop IEP goals from assessment data;
- Ability to effectively manage a classroom and students using a variety of classroom management techniques;
- Ability to write and present educational materials using excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Ability to work in a multi-disciplinary team and to work with students with multi-exceptionalities;
- Ability to assess students’ knowledge and skills, and to apply the assessment data to instructional next steps.
- Ability to deliver curriculum expectations, including accommodations and/or modifications to assist students’ learning and to conduct student assessments.
- 1515 Cheapside Street, London, Ontario, N5V 3N9
Area of Search:
Please submit a cover letter, your resume outlining qualifications, experience and an up to date copy of your Ontario College of Teachers Certificate of Registration and Qualification. Your cover letter must clearly identify the competition number you are applying to (PDSB22-133) and received by no later than 11:59pm on June 30, 2022. Please submit your application to the following email address: PSBjobs@ontario.ca
Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Late applications will be declined.
- Vulnerable Service Sector Screening Requirement
In accordance with the Ontario Public Service (OPS), Employment Screening Checks Policy (ESCP), the top candidate(s) may be required to undergo a security screening check. Refer to the above to determine the screening checks that are required for this position.
You will be responsible for obtaining the criminal record check at your own expense and provide it, along with your written consent, to the Transition and Security Office (TSO), Talent Acquisition Branch (TAB), HR Service Delivery Division (HRSDD) to evaluate the results. If applicable, the TSO, with your written consent, will request and obtain any additional employment screening checks that were not obtained directly by you. (Note: If a Vulnerable Sector Screening Check is required, it must also be obtained in person at your local police service).
A record under the Criminal Code and/or other federal offence record(s) does not automatically mean you will be ineligible for the position. The employent screening check(s) will only be reviewed and evaluated by the TSO for the purpose of making a security clearance decision. The details of an individual’s employment screening check(s) will be considered in specific relation to the duties and responsibilities of the position being filled. Employment screening check records will be maintained by the TSO and kept strictly confidential.
Posting Date: June 22, 2022
Closing Date: June 30, 2022
THE MINISTRY OF EDUCATION IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER, COMMITTED TO FOSTERING AND MAINTAINING A WORK ENVIRONMENT THAT PROMOTES RESPECT FOR OTHERS, OPEN COMMUNICATION, TEAMWORK AND ACCOUNTABILITY