Teacher of the Deaf – Hairstyling and Aesthetics Program
One (1.0) Permanent position – Ernest C. Drury School for the Deaf – Secondary
Position available September 1, 2022 to August 31, 2023
(Contracts rated under the Provincial Schools Authority)
Do you have interest in the education of students who are Deaf? Consider bringing your professional expertise to the Provincial and Demonstration Schools Branch. Currently there is an exciting career opportunity available at Ernest C. Drury School for the Deaf – Secondary program in Milton which serves students who are Deaf/Hard of Hearing in a student lodging school setting.
Teacher of the Deaf – Hairstyling and Aesthetics program – One (1.0) Permanent position available September 1st:
- Competition #: PDSB22-150 – Teacher of the Deaf – Hairstyling and Aesthetics program – One (1.0) Permanent position – Ernest C. Drury School – 255 Ontario St S, Milton
What we are looking for:
- Valid Certificate of Registration and Qualifications from the Ontario College of Teachers (OCT) (if no candidates with an OCT apply, other candidates will be considered);
- Deaf Specialist/Teaching Students Who Are Deaf or Hard of Hearing – Aural and Oral Communications Specialist and/or ASL/LSQ Communication Specialist or currently engaged in completing the requirements for the specialist qualification;
- Hairstyling and Aesthetics – Grades 9-12 – intermediate/senior divisions (course codes TXJ10, TXJ20, TXJ3E, TXJ4E)
- Hold a current Ontario Trade Certification of Qualification as a Hairstylist
- Previous experience in the hair industry required
- Previous experience teaching would be an asset
- Demonstrated experience teaching students who are Deaf/hard of hearing in programs for students with multiple exceptionalities;
- Ability to develop and modify lesson plans, and to create IEP’s to effectively teach students who are Deaf;
- An in-depth knowledge of the principles of teaching students who are Deaf;
- Ability to effectively manage a classroom and students using a variety of behavioural management strategies;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including proficiency in English and American Sign Language (ASL);
- Ability to apply an in depth knowledge of bilingual-biliteracy-bicultural education for Deaf students;
- Ability to work in a multi-disciplinary team and work with students with multiple exceptionalities.
- Milton, Ontario
Area of Search:
Please submit a cover letter and resume quoting Competition file number PDSB22-150 along with an updated copy of your Ontario College of Teachers Certificate of Registration by no later than 11:59 pm on August 17, 2022 to:
Send applications to: PSBjobs@ontario.ca
APPLICATIONS SHALL BE CONSIDERED FROM PERMANENT AND REPLACEMENT TEACHERS IN THE PROVINCIAL SCHOOLS AUTHORITY TEACHERS (PSAT) BARGAINING UNIT PRIOR TO CONSIDERING EXTERNAL CANDIDATES.
Please be advised that the results of this competition may be used to fill future vacancies represented by the Provincial Schools Authority Teachers (PSAT).
Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Late applications will be declined.
Note: The successful candidate (s) will be required to provide an original, satisfactory Criminal Reference Check, including Vulnerable Sector Screening (dated within the last six months) as deemed suitable by the Employer, prior to the commencement of employment.
Posting date: August 4, 2022
Closing date: August 17, 2022
Clearance No: N/A
THE MINISTRY OF EDUCATION IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER, COMMITTED TO FOSTERING AND MAINTAINING A WORK ENVIRONMENT THAT PROMOTES RESPECT FOR OTHERS, OPEN COMMUNICATION, TEAMWORK AND ACCOUNTABILITY