The Ministry of Education provides the services of three demonstration schools in Ontario for English-speaking pupils with severe learning disabilities. These are the Amethyst Demonstration School in London, the Sagonaska Demonstration School in Belleville, and the Trillium Demonstration School in Milton.
PPM 89 Objectives
The demonstration schools were established to meet the needs of pupils with severe learning disabilities either by demonstration school placement and/or by providing resource support within the student’s home school and school board. School boards apply to demonstration schools on behalf of a student and the Provincial Committee on Learning Disabilities determines if the student meets the criteria for a demonstration school placement or for resource support programming at their home school.
The program objectives of the demonstration schools are as follows:
- to provide a one-year, high intensity academic intervention program for pupils with severe learning disabilities with a focus on reading intervention
- to assist enrolled pupils to develop personal life and learning strategies which will support their future academic pathway in programs within local school boards, other educational jurisdictions, or the community
- to provide in-service teacher education
- to provide resource services for schools and school boards as required, including pupil assessment and/or programming assistance
“In need of a demonstration school placement” means a pupil…
- Has met the diagnostic criteria for a severe learning disability in the opinion of the Provincial Committee on Learning Disabilities;
- Has exhausted the resources of a school board in its ability to meet the needs of the pupil;
- Requires a high intensity academic intervention program in reading, writing and math and to assist with the development of personal life and learning strategies to overcome or limit the effect of severe learning disabilities; and
- Whose emotional or behavioural needs do not prevent them from participating in the high intensity intervention programming of the demonstration school
- Whose severe learning disability is the student’s primary education need.