Alternative Education Resources for Ontario (AERO)
The Resource Services Library at the W. Ross Macdonald School provides materials in Braille, large print, digital audio, and e-text to students who are print disabled and attending Ontario’s elementary and secondary schools. These materials are also available to students registered in courses at colleges and universities as well to approved private vocational schools.
Materials requested are loaned free of charge for the academic school year. At the elementary and secondary levels, texts listed in the “Trillium List” may be available when requested. In addition, materials may be provided in subject areas for which no learning media are listed in the Trillium List” (e.g., English literature, language programs, special education, French) where School Board approval has been given. To request materials, an application must be completed and provided to our Resource Services Library. At the post-secondary level, a contact person at the student’s college or university is appointed to register the student and order special format materials for the student’s use. This contact person (advisor) also acts as a liaison between the student and the Resource Services Library.
The Resource Services Library (RSL) has a new library system that allows the public to browse through the RSL catalogue. School advisors who register themselves and their student can order material directly from the following website: http://alternativeresources.ca.
To register as an advisor,
- Go online and register as an advisor by clicking on the above site
- Go to the New User Registration
- Select a school before entering the grade (if you can’t find your school, call our office)
- For Catholic schools, don’t put a period after the St (e.g., St Andrews, St Marie)
- Your User ID must be your school e-mail address
- RSL will approve your registration and send a confirmation to you
- The confirmation will list your User ID and Password (all User IDs are the e-mail address you have submitted)
- Once approved you can register your students